HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A father and his two daughters were rescued Sunday after they got lost on a canoeing trip in Hillsborough County, the sheriff’s office said.
Deputies said the family disappeared around 5 p.m. Sunday after embarking on a trip on the Alafia River.
Authorities responded to the area shortly after 8 p.m. and spent several hours searching for the family, using cameras and thermal imaging.
Around midnight, a helicopter crew spotted a fire on the river bank near Alderman’s Ford and saw two people waiving their arms and signaling to the helicopter.
The crew was able to direct patrol units to the family, and they were guided back to safety, authorities said.
- ‘Trying to play a prank’: Clearwater teen arrested for impersonating police officer
- Dollar Tree, Family Dollar to require masks
- Reuniting families: Daughter eager to visit elderly mom, concerned about plan to reopen ALFs
- Delta bans 100 passengers from taking flights, adding them to “no fly” list for refusing to wear masks
- Florida coronavirus: State adds 6k new cases, percent positivity drops to 8.5%