TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A toddler died Monday after police say she was left in her family’s car for most of the day in Tampa.
Police officers and firefighters were called to North 19th Street just before 6:30 p.m. When they got to the scene, first responders say they found a 1-year-old girl unconscious and not breathing.
The toddler was rushed to a nearby hospital where she later died, a police department spokesperson said.
Police are still in the early stages of the investigation but say it appears the child was accidentally left in the family’s Jeep Monday morning. Officers say the parents called 911 after finding their daughter in the Jeep that night.
Investigators said there were no apparent signs of foul play, but also added it was too early in the investigation to comment if criminal charges could be filed.
The investigation is ongoing.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- McConnell says he plans to push forward with Trump Supreme Court nominee
- 1 dead after shooting at St. Pete gentlemen’s club
- Mourners gather at the Supreme Court Building to honor Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- 1 dead, 1 hospitalized in shooting at St. Pete grocery store parking lot
- ‘Tragedy of epic proportions’: 16 shot, 2 dead at Rochester party