TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A “nearly head-on” crash left a 31-year-old Tampa woman dead on Christmas night. A 76-year-old woman suffered serious injuries, authorities said.
The Florida Highway Patrol said the crash happened shortly before 10 p.m. on State Road 60 near Clarence Gordon Jr. Road.
According to troopers, a 76-year-old woman was heading east in a 2015 Dodge Journey when she lost control of the vehicle, which traveled over a median and entered the westbound lanes of the highway.
The Journey hit a 2012 Scion XD driven by Meagan Thai Baytarian.
Troopers said Baytarian died at the scene, while Haughbrook was rushed to Tampa General Hospital to be treated for serious injuries. Her current condition is unknown.
It’s unclear if alcohol was a factor in the crash.
Charges are pending, according to the report.
NOTE: The Florida Highway Patrol previously reported that Baytarian had lost control of the vehicle, causing the crash, but a corrected release states that the other 76-year-old was the driver that lost control of her vehicle. This story has been corrected.
- Police: Man dead after shooting at Tampa apartment complex, investigation underway
- Florida stops releasing number of people overdue for second dose of COVID vaccine
- Flu rate drops dramatically due to COVID-19 precautions
- Amazon is offering to help Biden get 100 million COVID-19 vaccinations to Americans in 100 days
- Giant worm’s lair discovered underground in Taiwan