TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A garbage truck driver in Tampa helped reunite a lost toddler with his parents Tuesday after he was found alone in a park.
Robert Riley was in the Lazydays RV Resort, located at 6210 County Road in Seffner, when he noticed a young child wandering alone in a park near a roadway.
Riley watched the toddler for several minutes and when no parent came, he approached the barefoot boy, took his hand and called 911.
When a Hillsborough County deputy arrived, they worked with resort security to help return the 2-year-old boy safely to his parents.
According to Waste Management, drivers are trained in a program called Waste Watch to “act as an extra set of eyes and ears for law enforcement and emergency personnel in their communities, and report emergencies or any unusual activity that see during their routes.”
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Tampa prepares for future with all-electric vehicles on city streets
- 1 dead, 5 injured in shooting during vigil for gun violence victim
- Closing arguments in Derek Chauvin trial to begin Monday
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Downpours possible throughout the day; watch for flooding
- Police: 7-year-old girl killed outside McDonald’s in Chicago