HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – It’s the time of year for pesky mosquitoes, but Hillsborough County is being proactive about the problem and will spray thousands of acres tonight to hopefully help.
Mosquito season starts when spring temperatures arrive. The pesky bugs are most active in temperatures above 80 degrees. When there’s a lot of water around, it can be a recipe for disaster.
Starting at 8:30 p.m. Thursday, the county will try to get ahead of the problem.
A twin engine airplane will fly at an altitude of 300 feet and will spray Dibrom to control adult mosquitoes on more than 40,000 acres.
Areas that will be sprayed are South Tampa, MacDill Air Force Base, Hookers Point, Gibsonton and Apollo Beach.
The county wants to help residents keep mosquitoes away by offering mosquito eating fish. The fish are 2½ inches long and are put into backyard ponds, fountains, and other standing water to eat larvae and help reduce the mosquito population. You can start picking up the fish this Saturday. Pick up locations are below:
- June 2, 9 to 11 a.m. – Northdale Park, 15550 Spring Pine Drive in Tampa
- June 2, noon to 2 p.m. – Trout Creek Wilderness Park, 12550 Morris Bridge Road in Thonotosassa
- June 16, 9 to 11 a.m. – Mike E. Sansone Community Park, 1702 N. Park Road in Plant City
- June 16, noon to 2 p.m. – Alderman’s Ford Conservation Park, 9625 Canoe Launch Loop in Lithia
- June 30, 9 to 11 a.m. – Gardenville Recreation Center, 6215 Symmes Road in Gibsonton
- June 30, noon to 2 p.m. – Ruskin Recreation Center, 901 6th St. SE in Ruskin
- July 14, 9 to 11 a.m. – Jackson Springs Park, 8620 Jackson Springs Road in Tampa
- July 14, noon to 2 p.m. – Picnic Island Park, 7409 Picnic Island Blvd. in Tampa
- July 28, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Providence Skate Park, 5720 Providence Road in Riverview
- August 11, 9 to 11 a.m. – Keystone Recreation Center, 17928 Gunn Highway in Odessa
- August 11, noon to 2 p.m. – Lowry Park, 7525 North Boulevard in Tampa
- August 25, 9 a.m. to noon – Temple Terrace Farmer’s Market, 11302 N. 56th St. in Temple Terrace
Beginning Wednesday, May 30, fish will be available every Wednesday during the summer from 10 a.m. to noon at 1408 24th St SE in Ruskin.