TAMPA, Fla (WFLA) – Tampa police arrested more than 60 people Tuesday evening after a protest was broken up just before midnight.
Hundreds of people had protested peacefully in downtown Tampa, marching from City Hall then down Kennedy Blvd.
At some point, police began breaking up the protest, sending people running through downtown. It’s still unclear what prompted police to make the crowd disperse.
A line of protesters at Joe Chillura Park was seen being taken into custody. Police said they ended up arresting more than 60 people for civil unrest and unlawful assembly.
We’re working to figure out what caused police to break up the protest on Tuesday.
- Bolts fans eager for playoff hockey after season suspended during the pandemic
- Citrus County Sheriff’s Office captain retires after 33 years of service
- Manatee deaths are up, but pandemic put limits on necropsies
- Disney World to reduce theme park hours in September
- Steak ‘n Shake brings back historic drive-in service amid coronavirus pandemic