TAMPA, Fla (WFLA) – Tampa police arrested more than 60 people Tuesday evening after a protest was broken up just before midnight.
Hundreds of people had protested peacefully in downtown Tampa, marching from City Hall then down Kennedy Blvd.
At some point, police began breaking up the protest, sending people running through downtown. It’s still unclear what prompted police to make the crowd disperse.
A line of protesters at Joe Chillura Park was seen being taken into custody. Police said they ended up arresting more than 60 people for civil unrest and unlawful assembly.
We’re working to figure out what caused police to break up the protest on Tuesday.
- Nikki Fried calls on congress to investigate Florida’s ‘politically-driven’ vaccine distribution
- Largo nurse paralyzed from COVID-19 complications to return home after months in Massachusetts hospital
- Artists to showcase crafts virtually for Gasparilla Festival of the Arts
- Publix vaccine appointments fully booked for counties in Tampa Bay
- Visit St. Pete/Clearwater gives spring break forecast amid pandemic