TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A man in his 30s is in stable condition after being shot while trying to break up a fight in front of a hookah bar in Ybor City Monday morning. The shooter remains at large, police said.
Police said the man was shot on the sidewalk in front of Habibi Cafe & Hookah Bar, 1632 East 7th Avenue, around 12:45 a.m., and that a bullet went through his thigh.
He was rushed to an area hospital and is in stable condition.
According to police, the man had tried to break up a fight between the shooter and his cousin. Neither the suspect nor his cousin knew the shooter prior to the incident, police said.
The shooter was last seen fleeing the scene, heading southbound on foot. He is described as a Black male with long dreadlocks, wearing a white shirt and pink shorts.
Police are asking anyone with information regarding the shooter’s whereabouts to call Crimestoppers of Tampa Bay at 800-873-TIPS.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Last day to vote early in these Tampa Bay area counties
- Halloween treat: Full ‘blue moon’ set to shine
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Fall-like Halloween, mild Sunday
- Pasco County family hopes for ‘nightmare’ to end three years after near-deadly Halloween home invasion
- Florida election: Will mail-in ballot signatures become the ‘hanging chads’ of 2020?