LITHIA, Fla. (WFLA) – A Lithia man said he shot a family member after he threatened him with a gun Tuesday night, according to officials with the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies say the man called 911 just after 7 p.m. When responding deputies arrived at the home on Starling Water Drive, they say they found one man dead inside the house.
According to a spokesperson for the sheriff’s office, the man told deputies he was in fear for his life, so he retrieved his own weapon and shot his relative multiple times.
“I am heartbroken for this family who is dealing with so much tragedy just two days before Thanksgiving,” said Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister. “The shooter is cooperating with deputies, and the investigation is ongoing.”
The identity of the shooter has not been released. The identity of the deceased is not being released either as detectives work to notify his family members.
Deputies were conducting interviews and collecting evidence at the home Tuesday night. No arrests have been made.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Will the Capitol rioters receive a pardon from President Trump?
- Suspect charged in 2019 St. Petersburg murder
- Alleged white supremacist arrested after ankle monitor puts him at Capitol riot
- Florida officials investigating after Ellenton mom says she was hurt on ride at Manatee County Fair
- New sanctions on Cuba hinders trade and travel with Tampa Bay