TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Police say a man is in the hospital and another is in custody after a shooting in Tampa overnight.
Police responded to shots fired in the 900 block of East Poinsettia Avenue and found the victim with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police said the victim was involved in an altercation with Benjamin Sims Jr., who shot him in the torso.
Sims also shot at a woman who tried to intervene, but she wasn’t hit with any bullets, according to police.
The victim was taken to a nearby hospital and was later released.
Police began following Sims and dispatched a helicopter. They also placed stop sticks in the area of Orient Road and Hillsborough Avenue, but Sims did not hit any of them.
He was eventually pulled over at the Hard Rock Hotel and taken into custody.
“It was determined that all parties are known to each other, and was reported that the victim and suspect have had previous verbal altercations, with the suspect making prior threats of violence,” said Tampa police spokesman Eddy Durkin.
Sims was arrested and charged with two counts of attempted premeditated murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, armed burglary of a dwelling, and carrying a concealed firearm.
He is being held at the Hillsborough County Jail.
- Local event planner creates game to encourage residents to try, support new restaurants while stuck at home
- Pinellas County opens 9 new donation sites for PPE
- Singer Pink says she had COVID-19, gives $1M to relief funds
- Trump says ‘toughest’ weeks ahead as coronavirus spreads
- City of Tampa gets creative with ‘social distance’ messages