TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man has been sentenced to three years and five months in federal prison for collecting his mother’s Social Security payments for 23 years after her death.
A federal Judge in Tampa sentenced Glenn Hoyt Harrison, 71, earlier this week, according to court documents. The Hudson man pleaded guilty last August to theft of government funds.
Harrison’s mother was receiving Social Security Retirement Insurance Benefits when she died in November 1994, according to court records. Her death was never reported to the Social Security Administration, and the benefit payments continued. Prosecutors said Harrison continued to access the funds, totaling $363,344.10, and use them for his own personal expenses until December 2017.
Harrison was arrested and charged in May 2019. As part of his sentence, he must repay the stolen money.
MORE LOCAL NEWS
- Driver loses control, crashes into tree in Bartow
- Gabriel, No. 13 UCF beat East Carolina 51-28 in AAC opener
- No. 5 Florida beats Ole Miss 51-35 in Kiffin’s debut
- Willis’ 370 yards of offense helps Liberty beat FIU 36-34
- Amber Alert canceled for missing 11-year-old girl in Central Florida