TAMPA (WFLA) — A Hillsborough County deputy was transported to the hospital after being rear-ended by a driver at a high rate of speed on Interstate 275 Sunday morning.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office said the deputy was sitting inside a marked patrol SUV blocking a lane of traffic on I-275 South, just before E. Floribraska Avenue, as another deputy conducted a DUI traffic stop.
Both deputies had their emergency lights on, but a driver didn’t notice them and collided into the back of the first patrol vehicle. No other vehicles were struck in the collision.
Both the deputy and the 22-year-old driver were transported to Tampa General Hospital with minor neck and back injuries.
The driver was cited for careless driving and violation of the ‘move over’ law.
- Victims in St. Petersburg park assault claim it was a hate crime
- L.A. County motor deputy killed in crash while trying to initiate traffic stop: Sheriff says
- COVID-19 relief package hangs in the balance as lawmakers stay along party lines
- Port Richey grandfather charged with sexual battery on his teen granddaughter
- House could vote on Biden’s $1.9T COVID-19 relief package, $1,400 checks Friday