TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Dr. Dakeyan Chá Dré Graham from C. Leon King High School in Hillsborough County has been named the 2020 Florida Department of Education Teacher of the Year.
According to King High School’s website, Graham currently serves as the band director at the school, which is also his alma mater.
He has Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in Music Education from the University of Florida, a Master’s in Educational Leadership from Concordia University and has a Ph.D. in Music Education from the University of South Florida.
Graham was one of five finalists for the teacher of the year award and was one of two local finalists.
The other finalists include:
- Shane Swezey, Oak Park School Sarasota County
- Leigh Ann Norris from Hamilton County Elementary School in Hamilton County
- Dr. Nicole Mosblech from Vero Beach High School in Indian River County
- Megan Crombie from Florida State University School in Leon County
The announcement was made at the Teacher of the Year Gala located in Orlando Thursday evening.
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Hotter than average with highs in low-mid 90s
- VIDEO: Florida panthers show alarming behavior, stumbling to walk
- ‘They could kill my son’ Dover mom claims bus won’t pick up her son, forced through ‘dangerous conditions’
- The Friday Night Blitz is ready for kickoff
- Kiermaier drives in 4, Rays beat Mariners 7-6