HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – The Hillsborough County Tax Collector has announced no unmarked graves have been found beneath its Hillsborough Avenue office.
Doug Belden, the Hillsborough County Tax Collector shared the recent Ground Penetrating Radar scan findings earlier this afternoon.
“Upon review of the final determination report that I received today, there are no underground structures or anomalies that reflect any graves buried on the site. “Allocating the time and resources to conduct a thorough investigation into potential graves on the property was an easy decision. It was just the right thing to do, and I’m happy that we are able to provide closure as it relates to this particular property,” said Belden.
This comes following the discovery of 145 coffins were discovered under portions of King High School’s campus in Tampa. During a meeting to discuss the findings, Hillsborough County Commissioner Les Miller mentions the possibility of yet another forgotten cemetery at MacDill Air Force Base, in the once predominately African-American area known as Port Tampa.
- Tampa kid with 2 failing kidneys desperately in need of a donor
- Disney announces more layoffs as Polk County’s unemployment rate begins to rebound
- Madeira Beach family homeless on Thanksgiving after Tropical Storm Eta
- Polk County kids discover their soccer field was torn apart by apparent joy ride
- Second stimulus check: President-elect Biden’s thoughts on $1,200 payments