SUN CITY CENTER, Fla. (WFLA) — Residents in south Hillsborough County are passionate about stopping urban sprawl.
A protest is scheduled outside the Sun City Center Save-a-Lot Friday morning to voice concerns that local infrastructure can’t keep up with rampant growth.
Earlier this month, county commissioners tentatively agreed on a nine-month re-zoning moratorium for parts of south county.
Residents believe that only stalls the process, not stop it.
A community group is demanding the county put a stop to high-density home developments popping up in rural areas.
Roughly 10,000 new homes are slated for Wimauma with thousands more possible, if rampant re-zoning continues.
There’s another public hearing on the moratorium followed by a final vote on November 6.
- Florida inspector general report finds long-established problems with state unemployment system
- FEMA walk-up vaccine site in Tampa gets high marks from patients, no line at end of day
- Georgia could make porch theft a felony; critics decry move
- Capitol Police request 2-month extension of National Guard at US Capitol
- Illinois family grieving loss attributed to ‘COVID psychosis’