Mosquito season is upon us and to help residents prepare for the invasion of the tiny bloodsuckers, Hillsborough County is providing them with tiny fish that eat mosquitoes for free.
The fish, which are approximately 2½ inches in size, are put into backyard ponds, fountains, and other standing water to eat larvae and help residents control the mosquito population. The county’s program is aimed at curbing the spread of diseases like the Zika virus.
“Mosquito fish are small, native freshwater fish that eat mosquito larvae, and are ideal for controlling larvae in backyard ponds, birdbaths, fountains, animal troughs, unused swimming pools, and other standing water,” county officials said in a release. “They require no feeding and care is limited to protecting them from garden sprays, chlorine, or other chemicals used for cleaning.”
To take advantage of the offer, residents should visit one of the following locations and bring a valid photo ID proving their residency:
- June 2, 9 to 11 a.m. – Northdale Park, 15550 Spring Pine Drive in Tampa
- June 2, noon to 2 p.m. – Trout Creek Wilderness Park, 12550 Morris Bridge Road in Thonotosassa
- June 16, 9 to 11 a.m. – Mike E. Sansone Community Park, 1702 N. Park Road in Plant City
- June 16, noon to 2 p.m. – Alderman’s Ford Conservation Park, 9625 Canoe Launch Loop in Lithia
- June 30, 9 to 11 a.m. – Gardenville Recreation Center, 6215 Symmes Road in Gibsonton
- June 30, noon to 2 p.m. – Ruskin Recreation Center, 901 6th St. SE in Ruskin
- July 14, 9 to 11 a.m. – Jackson Springs Park, 8620 Jackson Springs Road in Tampa
- July 14, noon to 2 p.m. – Picnic Island Park, 7409 Picnic Island Blvd. in Tampa
- July 28, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Providence Skate Park, 5720 Providence Road in Riverview
- August 11, 9 to 11 a.m. – Keystone Recreation Center, 17928 Gunn Highway in Odessa
- August 11, noon to 2 p.m. – Lowry Park, 7525 North Boulevard in Tampa
- August 25, 9 a.m. to noon – Temple Terrace Farmer’s Market, 11302 N. 56th St. in Temple Terrace
- Beginning Wednesday, May 30, fish will be available every Wednesday during the summer from 10 a.m. to noon at 1408 24th St SE in Ruskin.
For more information, visit http://hcflgov.net