TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – ZooTampa is asking fans to help name its new orangutan baby, all while supporting the zoo’s conservation efforts.
The male endangered Bornean orangutan was born to first-time mother Randee.
The zoo is asking fans to support its mission to save and conserve wildlife by participating in a vote to name the baby.
The names “Riplee” or “Rowan” can be voted for, for a donation to ZooTampa’s conservation efforts.
The orangutan baby is the zoo’s 11th offspring of the species.
The zoo said the species has seen a population decline of more than 50 percent during the last 60 years due to deforestation.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- More than 1,100 signatures on petition arguing Sarasota High School’s dress code is ‘sexist’
- Florida Senate passes no-fault auto insurance repeal bill
- Olympus Pools customers say dream backyards turned into expensive nightmares
- Piney Point owner calls DEP insinuations about breach ‘preposterous’
- Florida Senate passes ‘anti-riot’ bill, moves to Gov. DeSantis’ desk