Grief counselors will be available for students and staff at Durant High School after a football player who was set to graduate this year was shot and killed at a Brandon gas station over the weekend.
Grover Wills, 18, was at the Mobile Gas Station located at 612 W. Lumsden Road when he was gunned down Sunday.
Officials said Wills and his friend had met up with another man and Wills and the other man started arguing. The dispute led to gunfire and Wills was shot.
Authorities said he ran back to his car and his friend took him to a nearby hospital where he later died. Authorities believe the incident was drug related. No arrests have been made at this time.
“With heavy Hearts, last night, we lost not only a teammate but a brother,” said a post on the Durant football Twitter account. “Rest In Peace Grover Wills! Please keep his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers. #5 #Cougars.Forever.”
“It’s just so sad. He was so young, it’s a terrible situation,” says Nicole Bernico, who has a daughter who attends Durant High School.
A candlelight vigil in memory of Wills will be held at the Durant High School Stadium, located at 4748 Cougar Path in Plant City at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Tax Day 2018: Where to find freebies & deals
- MANHUNT: Grandma accused of killing husband, woman at Florida bar
- Tampa Bay area mom hit in face with puck at Lightning playoff game
- Man returns wheelchair to family of Brandon boy with epilepsy
- Jabez Spann’s Aunt: Could remains belong to my missing nephew?