RUSKIN, Fla. (WFLA) – A furniture business along U.S. Highway 41 in Ruskin is destroyed after flames devoured the place Tuesday afternoon.
The call for help came in around 4:15 p.m.
“The whole building was in flames, man. The wires. The poles. The electrical. Everything was on fire everywhere. Everything was on fire,” said Marco Sepada, a barber at a nearby business.
Sepada and others rushed into the business to try to help anyone inside, but the flames were simply too intense.
“We seen the smoke and it got hot and got real smoky to the point where we couldn’t see our hand in front of our face and like I said, [we] stepped out,” he said.
Within 90 minutes of arriving on scene, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue crews had a handle on the flames, a public information officer said Tuesday night.
Several U-Haul trucks located on the same property as the furniture store were spared by the firefight.
One person was taken to the hospital with what are described as minor injuries.
The building is a loss, the public information officer said.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
All lanes of U.S. 41 in the area of the fire remained closed as of 9:30 Tuesday night. Several fire department vehicles remain on the scene.
- Missing Child Alert issued for 16-year-old girl in New Port Richey
- Heat exhaustion vs. heat stroke: How to see the signs
- Investigation underway after homeowner shoots, kills attempted home invader
- Stimulus check update: Why we’re no closer to a second $1,200 payment
- Remains of worker recovered from Hard Rock hotel 10 months after collapse