HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Two men are in jail after they were arrested for stealing around $100,000 in jewelry from a Hillsborough County jewelry store, deputies say.
Willie J. Harvey, Jr., 25 and Kawaun Thompson, 23, were taken into custody on March 7.
It was around 8 p.m. when the men entered the Jared Galleria of Jewelry on Citrus Park Drive in Citrus Park.
According to detectives, the men demanded all employees to get on the ground. Harvey shattered glass display cases and both men gathered the jewelry, deputies explained.
“They’re currently grabbing. They have masks on!” an eyewitness, who was in the parking lot, said to at 911 operator.
Moments later, the men took off in a rented Hyundai Elantra.
The eyewitness, who was with her family, told the operator they followed the men in their car.
“They’re headed toward the Suncoast Parkway. They’re getting on the Suncoast Parkway,” the woman said.
Deputies eventually caught up with the pair at the Wilsky Professional Park business plaza. They found the stole jewelry inside the vehicle, they said.
Harvey was arrested without incident and Thompson was taken down after a short foot chase.
Both men remain locked up in Hillsborough County and their bonds were set at $52,000 each. A check of records does not indicate any prior criminal arrests.
8 On Your Side stopped by the home where the men live, but no one was there.
- Politicians, dignitaries react to the death of Justice Ginsburg
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Front slowly passing this weekend with breezy winds and a few storms
- Student forced to leave football game because of Black Lives Matter shirt
- $13B aid package to help Puerto Rico 3 years after Hurricane Maria took too long, Democrats say