HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — Part of US-301 has been shut down in Riverview as a group of protesters moves through the area.
The protest started at 5 p.m. and is mostly peaceful so far. Deputies are, however, warning drivers there will likely be traffic impacts.
The sheriff’s office shut down US-301 in both directions at Big Bend Road by 5:30.
“We are asking drivers to find alternative routes prior to beginning their evening commute and to drive with caution through the area of U.S. 301 and Big Bend Road in anticipation of potential road closures,” Sheriff Chad Chronister said in a statement. “We want to create a safe environment for everyone, both protesters and motorists.”
The agency plans to keep the public updated with alerts on its Twitter page.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Hillsborough County sets turnout record for opening day of early voting
- Saved by social media: Car stolen with dog inside leads to social media hunt and discovery on I-275
- Arians discusses importance of in-game adjustments in win over Packers
- Study: Florida’s top phobia is virus, germs
- Woman found alive at funeral home dies at Detroit hospital