HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — Part of US-301 has been shut down in Riverview as a group of protesters moves through the area.
The protest started at 5 p.m. and is mostly peaceful so far. Deputies are, however, warning drivers there will likely be traffic impacts.
The sheriff’s office shut down US-301 in both directions at Big Bend Road by 5:30.
“We are asking drivers to find alternative routes prior to beginning their evening commute and to drive with caution through the area of U.S. 301 and Big Bend Road in anticipation of potential road closures,” Sheriff Chad Chronister said in a statement. “We want to create a safe environment for everyone, both protesters and motorists.”
The agency plans to keep the public updated with alerts on its Twitter page.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- World War II vet, grandson share graduation stage in a touching moment
- Gay Culverhouse, former Bucs president who helped injured players dies at 73
- Hillsborough County absentee ballots on their way to mailboxes
- Sarasota County beaches to remain open for July 4th holiday
- Where to see 4th of July fireworks in Tampa Bay