HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A man shot at deputies and prompted an hourslong standoff in Town ‘N’ Country on Monday, authorities said.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office said deputies were investigating a string of residential burglaries that occurred in Westchase and were led to the Town ‘N’ Country Apartments on Webb Road.
There, they set up surveillance and saw a woman leave the apartment they were watching.
While interviewing the woman, deputies observed 36-year-old Nathaniel Cruz leave the apartment with a gun.
Deputies said Cruz started shooting at deputies, so they returned fire. Then they took cover in the apartment next door.
The HCSO’s SWAT and Crisis Negotiation team arrived at the scene, set up a perimeter and evacuated units.
Several hours later, crisis negotiators got Cruz to surrender peacefully, authorities said.
No one was hurt.
Cruz was arrested on three counts of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer with a firearm, with more charges pending.
Authorities identified the officers involved as Deputy Joseph Lopez, who has been at the sheriff’s office since 2005, and Detective Bradley Garbutt, who has been there since 2009.
An investigation is ongoing.
WATCH FULL PRESS CONFERENCE HERE
- Let’s boogie! Local dance studio offers free virtual lessons during coronavirus crisis
- Dr. Fauci anticipates coronavirus outbreak in the fall
- HART to reduce bus service during coronavirus outbreak
- Trump administration rules gun shops ‘essential’ amid virus
- Stranded cruise ship hit by virus begs Florida to dock