HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A suspected drunk driver was arrested after troopers say he slammed into a motorcycle, killing the driver, then left the scene of the crash on Interstate 75.
The crash happened in the southbound lanes of the interstate near Gibsonton Drive shortly after 1 a.m.
Troopers say 35-year-old Frank Joseph Fischer of Tampa was headed south on the interstate and did not see the Suzuki’s GSX-R in front of him.
Fisher rear-ended the motorcycle, which burst into flames, then left the scene of the crash.
Troopers say a 23-year-old Riverview man was ejected from the motorcycle and died at the scene. His name was not released.
Alcohol was believed to be a factor in the crash, according to the report.
Fisher was located by deputies a short time later at the Lowe’s on Gibsonton Drive in Riverview.
He was arrested for DUI manslaughter and leaving the scene of a crash involving death.
- Westchase pizza place donates food to TGH workers on frontline of coronavirus battle
- Tigers housed at Joe Exotic’s former zoo now ‘thriving’
- Coronavirus response: Feeding Tampa Bay partners with celebrity chef for weekly Facebook series
- Final warning: Pinellas officials threaten to shut down marinas if boaters don’t abide by coronavirus guidelines
- Disney to furlough non-union US park employees