SEFFNER, Fla. (WFLA) – One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a fire broke out at a Seffner mobile home.
Firefighters responded to a single-wide mobile home in the 6400 block of Black Dairy Road around 4:45 a.m. and began battling the blaze.
Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokesman Eric Seidel said one person who lived in the home was found deceased in the patio area. Another person was taken to the hospital to be treated for burns.
“It was like whistles, screeching and like boom blowing up,” said neighbor Rodney Mathews, who said he heard what sounded like explosions just before 5 Friday morning, as well as cries for help he couldn’t ignore.
“The son, he was saying ‘my dad’s in there, my dad’s in there,’ and when I ran up there he was on the porch laying there and he said help him, but it was just so hot I couldn’t get to him. All I could say is sorry I couldn’t get to him. When I turned around I was going to break the railing and grab his arm, but by the time I turned around and got a breaker bar and my jacket, so I wouldn’t get burned, and he was gone,” Mathews said.
He then tried to help the man’s son, who had burns all over his body.
“I grabbed him water and told him to pour some on him because his back was burned, his arms and his neck,” he said.
The state fire marshal is investigating the cause, but investigators said the fire did not appear to be suspicious.
- Sarasota mom needs help finding necklace honoring late 9-year-old son
- Worker fired for forgetting doctor’s note after negative COVID-19 test
- 30-year-old drowns while snorkeling in ‘Blue Sink’ spring in Palm Harbor
- Florida unemployment network creates ‘social media meal train’ to feed those still struggling on Thanksgiving
- Tampa kid with 2 failing kidneys desperately in need of a donor