TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Florida Highway Patrol troopers tell 8 On Your Side that a driver struck and killed a bicyclist on U.S. Highway 301 and left the scene.
The accident happened at the intersection of U.S. 301 and Sligh Avenue shortly before 4:40 a.m. Tuesday.
Troopers said a two-door white pickup truck was traveling southbound on the highway when it struck Jacob Aaron Weinert, 28, of Lockport, Illinois.
The driver fled the scene and was last seen turning west on Sligh Avenue.
“If you’re involved, stop and do the right thing. Don’t take a bad situation and make it worse. Render aid. Call 911. Call law enforcement. Stay at the scene,” said Sgt. Steve Gaskins, a spokesman for FHP.
People who live in the area described it as dark and dangerous at night and in the morning.
“It’s completely dark. You cannot see anything at all on this street,” said Joselyn Walker-Saffore.
Troopers are asking anyone with information regarding the incident to call the FHP at 813-558-1800 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-873-TIPS.
- Father accused of letting 13-year-old drive them to get ice cream while he was drunk
- Woman will have multiple plastic surgeries to look like Kamala Harris, Texas surgeon says
- 4 teens injured after car hydroplanes, crashes into tree in St. Pete
- 2 Georgia deputies killed in car crash
- Newsfeed Now: Presidential debate recap; DNA test reunites brothers