TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — The death of a 10-year-old boy is under investigation in Tampa.
Hillsborough County deputies say they were called to a home on Dreisler Street just after 4:30 p.m. Monday in reference to a shooting. When they got there, deputies say they found a 10-year-old boy who was pronounced dead at the scene.
A sheriff’s office spokeswoman says the 10-year-old suffered injuries consistent with a gunshot and they are trying to figure out how a gun came into play.
The spokeswoman says there were adults inside the home, as well as an older sibling, and deputies are trying to figure out where the gun came from.
The sheriff’s office is working with the State Attorney’s Office and Medical Examiners Office to determine a cause of death.
Sheriff Chad Chronister released the following statement:
“This morning, there was a 10-year-old boy who woke up and had breakfast, did his school work [sic] and played. Now that child is no longer with us, and as a father, that is a heartbreaking reality… As we continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding this tragic death, I urge everyone who owns a firearm to go right now and make sure it is secured and unaccessible [sic] to any children in your home.”
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Prosecutors: Florida man lied to get virus relief money
- First COVID-19 treatment approved by FDA studied early on during pandemic at Sarasota Memorial Hospital
- Local hospitalized man racks up bills on stolen truck trapped in tow yard, family says company won’t budge on price
- Navy: ‘Aircrew did not survive’ crash in Alabama neighborhood
- Questions remain on if, how COVID-19 impacts the human heart