HIGHLANDS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A student is in custody after bringing an unloaded handgun into Avon Park High School, school officials say.
The School Board of Highlands County said it appears the student brought the gun as part of a class project. The student passed the gun around to other students, board officials said in a statement posted to Facebook.
The school resource officer acted immediately and there was never a threat to the school, according to the school board.
There is an ongoing investigation. No information on the student has been released.
Please check back for the latest updates.
- Florida sheriffs continue to push back on criminal justice reforms
- ‘We just need some leads’ Family pleads for help on 11th day of elderly woman’s disappearance
- Man immediately arrested after lighting blunt in court
- Jimmy Garoppolo says Tom Brady sent him ‘good luck’ text ahead of Super Bowl LIV
- Goat and police K-9 compete for honorary mayor of Vermont town