AVON PARK, Fla. (WFLA) — Deputies in Highlands County say an 88-year-old man suffered critical injuries on Thursday when he was attacked in his home.
According to a post on the Highlands County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page, the aggravated battery happened on Ramona Avenue off of State Road 17 in Avon Park. The post says the victim was attacked in his home sometime between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
The 88-year-old had to be flown to a trauma center after the attack due to his critical injuries.
Deputies say a person of interest is in custody on unrelated charges. The incident was not a random attack, according to the sheriff’s office, and there is no threat to the community.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Det. Du’Wayne Kelly at (863) 402-7250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 10,870 new cases, highest single-day increase since July 25
- Video captures jet skier rescuing trapped dolphin in Biscayne Bay
- ‘Hero’ police K9 recovering after being shot by suspect in Phoenix
- Warner Bros. to release all 2021 films on HBO Max, theaters
- Facebook to remove COVID-19 vaccine-related misinformation