TAMPA (WFLA) – The Cuban sandwich is a staple in the Tampa Bay area but no one does the sandwich better than Columbia Restaurant, at least according to the Food Network.
The Food Network compiled its 100 Best Sandwiches in America list and the Columbia’s Cuban was selected as the prized sandwich representative.
The caption below Columbia’s Cuban sandwich reads:
“The Cuban sandwich is a misnomer on many levels — neither the sandwich itself nor its culturally diverse fillings originated in Cuba. It’s like an ode to the cultural fabric that made up its home city when it was created in 1915. Invented at Tampa’s Columbia Restaurant, the oldest dining establishment in the state, the iconic sandwich was actually called a mixto when it was first created.”
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Front brings a small rain chance
- Pinellas County leaders enhance safety protocols for large community events amid pandemic
- Now you can put Bernie Sanders anywhere, thanks to NYU student’s website
- Japan PM determined to hold Olympics, will cooperate with Tokyo and IOC
- Dr. Fauci resumes coronavirus briefings at White House under Biden administration