ORLANDO, Fla. (WESH) – An Orlando family is grieving the loss of their 28-year-old son, who died last week. They said he died as a result of vaping.
Kyle Boyd’s family said he enjoyed watching the Gators, loved playing Dungeons and Dragons and enjoyed vaping.
His mother believes it was vaping that killed him.
Boyd’s mother, Kimberly Boyd, said he was fine last Monday after he came home from hanging out with a group of friends. She said the next morning she could not wake him up.
“I did notice there was vomit on the bed next to him, nothing on him, and the vape pen was there and Kevin heard me screaming, ‘Kyle, wake up Kyle,'” Kimberly Boyd said.
Kimberly Boyd said doctors spent days trying to save her son but that his lungs were too far gone.
Kyle’s mother said doctors told her he died of pneumonia caused by vaping. She said his lungs looked white.
In recent months, health officials said vitamin E acetate has been possibly linked to thousands of vape users getting sick and dozens of deaths.
It is most commonly used in lotions put on skin to prevent aging.
An autopsy will determine exactly how Kyle Boyd died.
Kimberly Boyd said doctors were able to harvest her son’s liver, eyes and heart to be able to give the gift of life to other families.
- All eyes on QBs as Packers host Bucs for NFC championship
- Grindr date leaves teen in hospital for nearly a month, scarred for life
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Mostly sunny, warm and dry through Wednesday in Tampa Bay
- 14 men arrested, charged with 541 counts of child porn in Manatee County
- Message in a bottle discovered decades after it floated away