WUHAN, China (CNN) — The first U.S. citizen has died from the coronavirus in the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus originated.
The U.S. embassy in Beijing says the patient was 60-years-old and died at Jinyintan Hospital.
Since breaking out in Wuhan in December, the coronavirus has killed more than 700 people worldwide, mostly in China.
Tens of thousands of people have been infected in 27 countries and territories worldwide.
At least 12 cases have been confirmed in the U.S.
- Tractor-trailer explodes into flames near Brooksville Walmart, evacuates and shuts down store on Black Friday
- 2 shot in Progress Village area of East Tampa, deputies searching for 3 suspects
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Major cool-down in store for next week
- Tampa city councilman thankful after surviving battle with coronavirus
- Venezuela judge convicts 6 American oil execs, orders prison