(KCRA/CNN/WFLA) – A 9-year-old girl died Sunday when she was electrocuted while swimming at her father’s home in California.
Sacramento Metro Fire Officials said McKenzie Kinley had been shocked by a wire attached to an underwater pool light that was under repair. Four other children were present.
“I just fell to my knees,” said family friend Janie Perduta. “It was just as bad if would (she) have been my own granddaughter.”
Family and friends remember McKenzie as a “spitfire” who liked to stay active. The cheerleader, soccer player and talent show emcee was looking forward to fifth grade at a local grammar school.
“All the kids that don’t have friends have lost their only friend,” said her mother’s best friend, Serena Kruger. “And she was that person. If she could make somebody smile, she would.”
McKenzie’s friend, 12-year-old Aaron Hernandez, told KCRA: “She was just so kind and loving and she could be friends with anyone that she met no matter what.”
- Game over: Hasbro ditching plastic packaging for toys, games
- Water found in gas pumps at Circle K in South Tampa
- Escaped Georgia inmate wanted in Lakeland man’s homicide found dead
- Opening statements to begin in Clearwater parking spot shooting death trial
- Trump acknowledges China policies may mean US economic pain