HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California pumpkin hobbyist has won first place at the 46th annual Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh Off, setting a record for the largest in California.
Leonardo Urena of Napa won $15,000 Monday when his pumpkin logged 2,175 pounds (986 kilograms).
Weigh-off spokesman Timothy Beeman says Urena’s pumpkin is the second largest in the contest’s history. A pumpkin from Washington state weighed nearly 2,400 pounds (1,088 kilograms) and won in Half Moon Bay in 2017.
The 51-year-old says he took up the hobby in 2000 and says he enjoys the pumpkin growing community. He also won the Half Moon Bay contest in 2011.
Urena says he always tells his pumpkins he’s proud of them and he encourages them to keep growing.
- Lightning look to win Stanley Cup in Game 6, avoid Game 7 with Stars
- Deputies: Florida woman charged with child abuse after admitting to hitting infant multiple times
- 70 mph in 2.4 seconds: Universal Orlando reveals new Jurassic World ride
- 150 million rapid COVID-19 tests to be distributed to all U.S. states
- Bloomberg donation called into question by some Florida officials