LONGWOOD, Fla. (WFLA/AP) — Authorities in central Florida say a German shepherd helped firefighters locate the two young children of his owners in heavy smoke as a blaze destroyed their home.
The Seminole County Sheriff’s Office says that the dog named Maxx helped firefighters find the 4-year-old boy and 2-year-old girl Monday night in their home in the Orlando suburb, Longwood.
“Maxx, the family dog, is credited with assisting firefighters through the heavy smoke to the location of each of the two children,” according to a GoFundMe page set up for the family.PHOTOS: Top 10 of America’s Most Popular Dog Breeds
Moments earlier, neighbors who saw the fire spreading called 911, broke windows and helped evacuate the children’s mother, Margo Feaser.
Firefighters then were able to rescue Feaser’s husband, as well as the two children with Maxx’s help.
Feaser is a 12-year veteran of the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office, working as an investigator. According to GoFundMe, she also served with the U.S. Army for three years and is currently a member of the Army National Guard. Her husband is also a military veteran.
Family members were hospitalized and their conditions ranged from serious to critical.PHOTOS: Must-see Cute Dogs
The dog was treated for smoke inhalation and is now doing well.
The GoFundMe page says the family is unable to return to their home, as it was completely destroyed in the fire. The GoFundMe account “will assist with medical, veterinary, and other housing expenses as the family works to get back on their feet,” the page reads.
Love this story? Share it with your friends on Facebook below:
The Associated Press contributed to this report.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Half-bearded man arrested in Miami
- Chyna’s manager says she died from accidental overdose of prescriptions
- Dozens of citations doled out since decriminalization of marijuana in Tampa
- Beyonce slays at tour opening, offers no insight into album
- St. Pete man records himself asking to use Target women’s bathroom
- Three Tampa Bay area hospitals receive ‘D’ grades
- Hamburger buns stored next to toilet at Checkers restaurant
- Florida manatee gives birth to rare set of twins
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines