TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Ready or not, here they come! Pirates have officially warned Mayor Jane Castor they will be invading the City of Tampa this week.
Three members of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla delivered a letter from Captain Richard Chapman on Friday ordering Mayor Castor to meet with the captain at high noon on Tuesday.
The Krewe had its cannons on-hand for its arrival Tuesday and the meeting between Captain Chapman and Mayor Castor.
When Mayor Castor chose not to voluntarily meet the captain, members of the Krewe stormed City Hall to escort her to Lykes Gaslight Park for the meeting.
Mayor Castor refused to surrender the key to the City of Tampa to Captain Chapman on Tuesday, meaning the Krewe will return Saturday with reinforcements for the historic Gasparilla Invasion.
MORE GASPARILLA COVERAGE:
- Gasparilla postponed: Organizers push Tampa’s pirate celebration back to April due to coronavirus
- EXCLUSIVE: Gasparilla Distance Classic still expects to be in-person in 2021
- ‘Running the race of life:’ Couple who got engaged at Gasparilla Distance Classic to retire
- Schedule of events, road closures for Gasparilla Distance Classic races
- Running in the family: 4 generations to race together at Gasparilla Distance Classic