TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – We haven’t reached the weekend yet but Gasparilla pirates are already causing trouble in the Tampa Bay area.
“Outside of the invasion, this is our favorite event. We get to visit the hospitals,” said Shamus Warren with the Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla.
The Krewe went to visit the tykes at Tampa General Hospital, Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital and AdventHealth Tampa.
The pirates stormed the halls and went door-to-door, passing out beads, stuffed parrots and other treasures.
“I am a dad, so it is always tough when you see kids that are sick or hurt. To be able to take their mind off these things, it makes it all worthwhile for us,” said Warren.
The YMKG pirates even took the time to give a hardy “Yarr” to a new mom.
Warren, who has been a pirate with Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla for the last 21 years, tells 8 On Your Side that while the parade attracts hundreds of thousands, their goal is to make sure those who are in the hospital also have a chance to experience the spirit of Gasparilla.
“Hopefully we can bring a little bit of the joy and the pirate experience that we get to do every year,” said Warren.
MORE GASPARILLA COVERAGE:
- ‘Running the race of life:’ Couple who got engaged at Gasparilla Distance Classic to retire
- Schedule of events, road closures for Gasparilla Distance Classic races
- Running in the family: 4 generations to race together at Gasparilla Distance Classic
- Man runs Gasparilla Distance Classic to give back after battle with cancer, ‘alien’ tumor
- Black Girls RUN! represents at Publix Gasparilla Distance Classic