TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — While Gasparilla is fun for Tampa residents, it can prove dangerous for any manatees that might wander into the middle of the invasion.
About a month before the invasion, a captain goes out every weekend to see if there are any manatees in the invasion area.
Once the big day comes, crews on boats and even Eagle 8 keep an eye out for any manatees in the area.
- Here’s how many people were arrested at Gasparilla 2023
- ‘Keep the city clean’: Volunteers clean up after Gasparilla
- Pirate parade-goers and participants share why they love Gasparilla
- Gasparilla season continues with these events in the Tampa Bay area
- VIDEOS: Relive all the pirate-filled festivities of Gasparilla 2023
If a manatee is spotted, teams are deployed to protect the animal and close off the area from private boats.