GAINESVILLE, Fla. (WFLA) — Tom Petty was honored during a college football game in his hometown this weekend.
Between the third and fourth quarters of Florida’s game against LSU on Saturday, Gators fans stood up to sing one of Petty’s most popular songs – “I Won’t Back Down.”
Petty, who was from Gainesville, died last week at 66 years old after going into cardiac arrest.
Florida’s athletic director told NBC News they wanted to honor the legendary musician who once worked as a groundskeeper at the University of Florida.
Florida ended up falling to LSU with a final score of 17-16.STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Body of missing kayaker found in Gibsonton
- Traffic snarled in Plant City as families try to apply for hurricane relief
- Sen. Corker hits back after Trump’s critical tweets
- Nate weakens to tropical depression as heavy rain continues in southeast
- Jason Aldean pays tribute to Vegas victims, Petty on ‘SNL’
- Videos show storm surge, flooding after Hurricane Nate hits Mississippi