TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – From a monkey found during an arrest to lifetime bans at Walt Disney World, it certainly was a crazy year here in Florida!
As we close the book on 2018, let’s take a look at some of the most “Florida” things to make headlines this year.
We’ve compiled a list of 2018’s best, most outrageous Florida stories. Click the headline to be taken to the full story.
1. Monkey clings to man arrested after Pasco car crash
Deputies who arrested a man in Pasco County were surprised to find a Capuchin monkey clinging to his chest. The man, who was detained for driving a stolen vehicle into a ditch, didn’t have a permit for the animal.
2. Woman shaves legs in crowded Florida hotel pool
A video that began trending online in May first appeared on Reddit, under “r/trashy.” The video gained over 55,000 views in just a day.
3. Tallahassee man rips urinal off bathroom wall, runs naked out of restaurant into woods
In one of the first Florida stories of the year, the suspect ripped the urinal off the wall, then got naked when he was confronted by angry employees.
4. Florida woman blames cocaine in purse on ‘windy day,’ police say
The woman allegedly told police, “I don’t know anything about any cocaine. It’s a windy day, it must have flown through the window and into my purse.”
5. Pasco man admits to printing fake money at library, selling it on Facebook
This Florida Man was sold out by his landlord for printing “legal printable money” from Pinterest at the New Port Richey Public Library. He was already on felony probation for dealing in stolen property.
6. Largo couple steals motorized shopping cart from Walmart, drives to bar
Shortly after the theft was reported, the cart was spotted outside Jimmy’s Sports Bar in Largo and an officer found the couple at the bar.
7. Land O’ Lakes man cuts neighbor with chainsaw during argument over shrubs
The victim arrived on scene and saw that “his bushes” were being removed, so he went and “hugged” them to prevent them from being cut down before being struck by the chainsaw’s blade. He required surgery at Tampa General Hospital.
8. Deputies: Hernando DUI suspect thought bank drive-through was Taco Bell, ordered burrito
The bank manager said he beat on the window of the car “for some time” until the driver woke up and asked for a burrito. He drove out of the drive-thru after he was told he was not at Taco Bell.
9. Florida store owner: Don’t warm urine in my microwave
The store owner said a woman became aggressive when he asked her not to warm her urine. She asked to see a sign that says it’s not for that purpose… so the owner made one.
10. Man banned from Disney World after displaying Trump 2020 sign on Splash Mountain
The man was also banned back in September for briefly flying another pro-Trump flag from the Main Street Station at Magic Kingdom.
11. Florida surgeon removes healthy kidney he thought was tumor
A Florida surgeon removed a woman’s healthy kidney while she was undergoing back surgery because he believed the vital organ was a cancerous tumor.
12. Woman steals live lobster from Red Lobster tank after being asked to leave restaurant
A woman told deputies she was “blacked out drunk” when she plucked a live lobster from a tank at a Red Lobster in St. Petersburg and ran out of the restaurant.
13. Police: 2 arrested at Florida drug house with drive-thru window
Authorities arrested two people who were running a drug business out of a mobile home in Ocala with its own walk-up and drive-thru window.