TAMPA (WFLA) – The University of Florida has announced they will discontinue the use of the “Gator Bait” cheer.
University of Florida President Kent Fuchs made the announcement in a post talking about taking positive changes against racism.
Fuchs stated “While I know of no evidence of racism associated with our “Gator Bait” cheer at UF sporting events, there is horrific historic racist imagery associated with the phrase. Accordingly University Athletics and the Gator Band will discontinue the use of the cheer.”
The university also announced that the school will require training of all current and new students, faculty and staff on racism, inclusion and bias.
To read the full letter click here.
MORE TOP STORIES
- Milwaukee County vote recount gives Biden small boost
- NBA releases shorter preseason schedule; games start Dec. 11
- Mask wearing, social distancing has cut seasonal flu hospitalizations by two-thirds, DHEC says
- German confectioner sells Santas with white chocolate facemasks
- Handling mental health during Covid-19 pandemic