JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (WFLA) — An unborn baby was killed after its mother was shot in her sleep in Jacksonville Tuesday morning, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.
First Coast News says the shooting happened on Kona Avenue in the Arlington neighborhood. While the baby did not survive, police say the mother is at the hospital in stable, but serious condition.
Officers were called to the home around 1:15 a.m. and found a woman with a gunshot wound to her stomach. Police said it’s unclear how far she was into her pregnancy, but she was “visibly pregnant.”
There have been no arrests made, but police are searching the area looking for home surveillance footage, First Coast News says. Investigators reportedly believe the shooter was inside the home when shots were fired and said it doesn’t appear there was any kind of argument beforehand.
Anyone with information about the shooting is urged to call Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS.
- Senate Republicans introduce amendment to prevent ‘packing’ of Supreme Court
- ‘If we were torturing, I’d be in jail’: Owner of America’s scariest haunted house addresses criticism
- Bradenton woman calls 911 while brother was ‘stabbing her boyfriend to death’ over rent dispute
- Pope endorses civil union law for same-sex couples
- Newsfeed Now: President Trump campaigns in NC; Presidential Debate preparations