MIAMI, Fla. (WFLA) – An Amber Alert for a Florida boy who was allegedly abducted by two men has been canceled after the child was found dead Friday morning, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
According to reports, police found a body in a lake in the area of Southwest 62 Street and 138 Court. The agency has not confirmed whether it was the subject of the alert, 9-year-old Alejandro Ripley.
The FDLE said Ripley, who is non-verbal, was allegedly abducted near Southwest 158th Avenue and Kendall Drive by two unknown black men driving a light blue four-door sedan.
NBC Miami reports Ripley was with his mother, Patricia when the alleged abduction occurred.
Patricia said they were in her car and noticed the men following them. She said the driver tried to sideswipe their car, then drove ahead of her and blocked her, police said.
Patricia claimed one of the men approached them and asked for drugs. When she told them she didn’t have any, he reached into her car, grabbed her cell phone and took her child. The two men then drove off with the boy, according to police.
The FDLE did not say whether or not they had identified the child’s alleged abductors or if the men were in custody.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Florida Sen. Rick Scott promises uphill battle for Biden’s Cabinet picks
- Florida man wins second scratch-off top prize in three years
- Hundreds wait in line for hours for free $250 Publix gift card in Miami
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 8,847 new cases, surpasses 1 million total cases
- Florida hits 1 million total coronavirus cases on first day of December