DUCK KEY, Fla. (WFLA) – A loggerhead sea turtle is nearly 15 pounds lighter after having surgery to remove a massive tumor.
The sea turtle, known as “Chomper,” was rescued off Duck Key after a family found the animal entangled in a fishing line, according to The Turtle Hospital in the Florida Keys.
Bette Zirkelbach, manager of The Turtle Hospital, says it was the largest tumor the group had seen in over 30 years!
Dr. Terry Norton and the team successfully removed the tumor and were able to save “Chomper’s” flipper. Chomper is expected to make a full recovery.
MORE TOP STORIES
- Protests, looting in Philadelphia after police fatally shoot Black man Walter Wallace Jr.
- Trump campaign says website briefly ‘defaced’
- Deputies searching for suspect following shooting in Safety Harbor
- Florida mother accepts plea deal for 23 years in starvation death of 13-month-old daughter
- National poll: Joe Biden leads President Trump by 5 points one week from Election Day