(CNN) – Scientists have released images of a new shark species that emits light.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says the newly-discovered species is a tiny subset of sharks dubbed the American Pocket Shark.
The sharks are described as a species of kitefin fish that have a light-emitting pocket organ near its front fins.
Researchers say only two pocket sharks have ever been captured.
One was caught in the Gulf oF Mexico in 2010 and the other was found in 1979 in the Eastern Pacific Ocean.
- U.S. mayors say their cities need money, infrastructure at meeting with Pres. Trump
- WATCH: Gasparilla Invasion & Parade of Pirates
- Law enforcement runs tight ship to keep 2020 Gasparilla safe
- Tapeworm removed from Austin man’s brain after months of headaches
- Illinois law caps insulin patient costs at $100 monthly