(CNN) – Scientists have released images of a new shark species that emits light.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says the newly-discovered species is a tiny subset of sharks dubbed the American Pocket Shark.
The sharks are described as a species of kitefin fish that have a light-emitting pocket organ near its front fins.
Researchers say only two pocket sharks have ever been captured.
One was caught in the Gulf oF Mexico in 2010 and the other was found in 1979 in the Eastern Pacific Ocean.
- “I couldn’t be more happy”: McGlockton girlfriend speaks out after Drejka verdict
- Inconsistent Franks, No. 8 Florida rally to beat Miami 24-20
- Lyft offers $1,000 in free ride credits to Tampa nonprofit organization
- Married only minutes, Texas newlyweds killed in crash
- Hundreds of Pinellas Co. high school students earn free college credit