MIAMI (AP) — Federal prosecutors say a South Florida nurse fraudulently obtained about $420,000 in coronavirus relief funds.
Giraldo Caraballo made his initial appearance Friday in Miami federal court. He’s charged with engaging in transactions in unlawful proceeds and making false statements to a financial institution.
A criminal complaint says Caraballo applied for and received a Paycheck Protection Program loan on behalf of his company, Professional Skills Inc. He claimed the company had 28 employees and an average monthly payroll of $168,000, which investigators said was untrue.
Instead of using the money for payroll, prosecutors said Caraballo transferred the money to other accounts and used it for personal expenses.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Disney World ticket booker alerts police to domestic violence victim
- 43-year-old’s dying words: ‘I never thought that I would be considered nonessential’
- Cigar City Brewing to release hard seltzer amid bubbly craze
- Coronavirus guidelines now the rule at the White House
- Mega Millions prize climbs to $1B ahead of Friday’s drawing