DUVAL COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A resolution to start the process to rename all schools named after Confederate leaders passed 7-0 Tuesday evening in Duval County.
According to First Coast News, the list of schools affected would include:
- Joseph Finegan Elementary School
- Stonewall Jackson Elementary School
- Jefferson Davis Middle School
- Kirby-Smith Middle School
- J.E.B. Stuart Middle School
- Robert E. Lee High School
First Coast News reports that according to school board policy the naming or renaming schools is up to the school board. “Community input is desired and highly valued; however the School Board has final authority over the name of any school,” the policy states.
The news comes following Jacksonville City Mayor Lenny Curry announcing that all Confederate statues would be removed citywide.
MORE TOP STORIES
- Two Bradenton officers under investigation after dog attack, shooting
- President Trump talks Supreme Court nominee, election, coronavirus and football in NewsNation interview
- USF RB Johnny Ford says he has another chance to do what he loves this season
- Cindy McCain endorses Biden for president in rebuke of Trump
- Records reveal cancer-causing herbicides shipped to Panama made veterans sick