PANAMA CITY, Fla (WMBB).- Good news for the Panhandle, officials with President Donald Trump’s office have informed the Bay County Commission that he officially approved the federal government’s 90-percent cost share for public assistance, including debris removal, for Hurricane Michael-impacted counties in Florida.
The approval happened on Saturday afternoon.
“We are grateful to President Trump for making good on his promise to fund costs associated with Hurricane Michael at 90 percent from the federal level,” Bay County Commission Chairman Philip “Griff” Griffitts said.
“This, along with the state’s commitment to split the remaining 10 percent will remove a significant burden from the taxpayers of Bay County. We thank the president and Gov. Ron DeSantis for their continued commitment to our area’s recovery,” said Griffitts.
On April 19, Florida Governor, Ron DeSantis requested an increase in the federal cost share to 90 percent for all public assistance costs for Hurricane Michael.
FEMA recommended that President Trump grant the State of Florida a modified cost-sharing at 90 percent federal funding for debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct federal assistance, for the duration of the disaster, except for assistance previously approved at 100 percent.