TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – President Donald Trump declared Wednesday afternoon that a major disaster exists in Florida, allowing the state to now receive federal aid assistance.
The president has ordered federal assistance to supplement state, tribal and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by the coronavirus pandemic starting from Jan. 20.
DeSantis initially asked the president for help on Monday saying the coronavirus outbreak is having a “drastic effect” on the state’s economy and medical providers.
His letter to Trump said Florida’s hospitals and first responders are facing challenges rarely experienced.
While this is no hurricane, DeSantis wrote that the state has already spent $208 million and its medical system is already burdened with limited testing showing more than 1,600 people infected and 22 deaths.
- Pandemic or not, Polk organization delivers 1,800 Thanksgiving meals to the elderly
- Mysterious medical braces delivered to Tampa Bay seniors, charged to Medicare
- Traveling abroad? The CDC now says you should get 3 coronavirus tests
- Viral Arkansas police officer on a mission to make a difference
- Doctor: The current US testing strategy isn’t working