TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – President Donald Trump declared Wednesday afternoon that a major disaster exists in Florida, allowing the state to now receive federal aid assistance.
The president has ordered federal assistance to supplement state, tribal and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by the coronavirus pandemic starting from Jan. 20.
DeSantis initially asked the president for help on Monday saying the coronavirus outbreak is having a “drastic effect” on the state’s economy and medical providers.
His letter to Trump said Florida’s hospitals and first responders are facing challenges rarely experienced.
While this is no hurricane, DeSantis wrote that the state has already spent $208 million and its medical system is already burdened with limited testing showing more than 1,600 people infected and 22 deaths.
- High-tech wristband reminds employees to wash hands, tracks how well they do it
- Israel strike in Gaza destroys building with AP, other media
- Husband used missing wife’s ballot to vote for Trump in 2020
- Busch Gardens drops mask requirement for vaccinated guests
- Disney, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, Universal Orlando change mask requirements for guests