TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – President Donald Trump declared Wednesday afternoon that a major disaster exists in Florida, allowing the state to now receive federal aid assistance.
The president has ordered federal assistance to supplement state, tribal and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by the coronavirus pandemic starting from Jan. 20.
DeSantis initially asked the president for help on Monday saying the coronavirus outbreak is having a “drastic effect” on the state’s economy and medical providers.
His letter to Trump said Florida’s hospitals and first responders are facing challenges rarely experienced.
While this is no hurricane, DeSantis wrote that the state has already spent $208 million and its medical system is already burdened with limited testing showing more than 1,600 people infected and 22 deaths.
- FWC reminds boaters to be cautious during right whale calving season
- Clearwater woman wanted for setting her own house on fire, killing 2 cats: police
- Why are so many people sick right now?
- Florida lawmakers consider move to reverse stripping Disney of self-governing status: report
- Pentagon unveils new nuclear stealth bomber after years of secrecy