PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA/WPTV) – An undercover deputy is recovering after being shot in the face by an MS-13 gang member.
The shooting happened overnight in Palm Beach County during a narcotics operation.
The undercover deputy had just made a deal with the suspect. That’s when the Palm Beach County narcotics task force responded to take the suspect into custody.
When deputies identified themselves, that’s when the suspect started shooting.
Other deputies opened fire and killed the suspect.
A witness who lives nearby the scene described what he heard.
"You just heard that unmistakable sound, ‘bop, bop, bop, bop, bop.’ Enough to where it sounds like fireworks but enough to know that it's gunshot. Just 20 cop cars come streaking out, the ambulance," said Ryan Wade.
The deputy was shot under the eye, inches away from being a fatal gunshot wound.
He has already had one surgery and is set to have a second this afternoon.
He can speak and move around and is not intubated.
He is expected to survive.
The names of the deputy and the suspect have not yet been released.
Citrus county deputies searching for...
Why Trump chose Florida to launch reelec
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Dropped off far from home by bus driver, Tampa girl runs home terrified, crying
- Wanted:The owner of prosthetic ear found in Holmes Beach
- Man caught at JFK smuggling 34 finches in hair curlers
- Binge-watching may lead to increased risk of blood clots, research says