LAKE APOPKA, Fla. (WFLA) — Something you don’t see every day, even in Florida: A great blue heron swallowing a juvenile alligator whole.
Florida wildlife photographer Shellie Gilliam said she frequents the Lake Apopka area, but has never witnessed anything like this.
“I first thought it was a large fish or a greater siren, but upon closer review through my camera, discovered it was a large juvenile alligator!”
Gilliam said the bird took off with it in its mouth and flew to the spot seen in the video and pictures. That’s where it consumed it.
“I had to walk a few hundred yards back to where he landed, whew. Once in a lifetime experience,” she said.
- Red tide deaths of horseshoe crabs in Tampa Bay not impacting biomedical field
- Seahorse rescued by good Samaritan gives birth at Clearwater Marine Aquarium
- ‘She’s my hero’: Dog alerts owner to Florida house fire
- Ranging Bull: ‘Barney’ eludes capture days after farm escape
- Snow leopard at San Diego Zoo suspected positive for COVID-19