MARION COUNTY, Fla. (WESH/AP) – Ocala Police Chief Greg Graham was killed Sunday in a plane crash in Marion County. Authorities say Graham was piloting when he crashed into an open field.
The crash happened in the area of Southwest 140th Avenue in Marion County around 11:30 a.m., not far from the Marion County Airport in Dunnellon.
Ocala Mayor Kent Guinn confirmed the death of Graham Sunday.
A Marion County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman says no one else was injured.
Guinn says Graham was “fascinated” with flying and recently received his pilot’s license. Graham became chief in January 2012. Guinn says Ocala Deputy Chief Mike Balken will be named interim police chief.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Orphaned baby llama joins herd at Macedonian zoo
- 3 men from 3 states accused in woman’s death, burned body
- ‘Enough is Enough’ march in St. Petersburg demands end to gun violence
- 49ers may need temporary home because of new COVID-19 rules
- German restaurant fills seats with stuffed pandas to protest coronavirus lockdown